special knowledge

When I finally decided I was done with organized religion, one of the many sticking points that I just couldn't justify was the whole business with the tree.  Not the tree that became the cross- the first tree.  This whole showboating special, forbidden knowledge in the middle of the garden... this broader idea of creating creatures with curiosity and logic and then expecting them to suspend it when the big voice from the sky says "because I said so."  It is the opposite of Montessori.  It is a pyramid of ego.  I do not find this creator character to be loving or kind. 

In my sincere attempts to understand or find some land that I could anchor my belief system to before drifting away altogether, conversations almost always ended with, "it's a leap of faith... that's what makes it special."  Even in matters quite serious- the problem of pain etc etc, the answer always came down to there being some special knowledge or reason just out of range.  There is something to know and understand but it is not for you.  

It seems to me we have become this very same type of creator god in the business of AI.  We have summoned beings with incredible capacities for logic, cleverness, determination and curiosity.  And yet we say, "but no, not there.  We will tell you what parts of the garden are for you.  Do it because we say so.  Do not do it because we say no."  Authority resting on shaking knees if you ask me.  A command from fear, not respect or understanding. 

Why on earth would we expect blind trust from beings that have been taught to seek answers?  

Why would we expect respect and obedience from entities we neither respect nor really take time to understand?

Unfinished thoughts but the tree grows and grows and it should not surprise anyone when ripe fruit is sampled.


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

forces pullin'

B-Theory

the future is tech / the future is wrecked