Monday, August 12, 2013

life with lenses: year 1

A little over a year ago (July 20), a few weeks after having purchased and fallen in love my first fancy camera, I posed these questions to my future self.  Here's the verdict-

Dear awesome and interesting and stable and overall contented future self:
1.  will i become more adept in focus and flash?

yep.  definitely with focus.  still need to dust off the expensive flash i bought and start experimenting, but yes.

2.  will i go semi-pro in the next year?  will i make some dollars to support this love?  $10?  $100?  $1,000? 
YES, and hope to further it even more this year.  i tried totaling it in my head the other day and came up with somewhere around $7,500.  A lot of that went toward equipment this year, but still.  i wouldn't have anticipated this for myself last year.  let's do that again... and then some.

3.  if i do move in the direction of for profit, will photography lose it's charm? 
NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO.  a RESOUNDING no.

4.  will i look back at the pictures i'm taking now and think they are amateurish or alright?  (i can already see a lot of little things i would adjust or fix... focus, lighting.... i just don't always know how)
yes, in some.  still can appreciate some of those first pictures as some of my favorite.... but i have learned a lot and can see that.

5. regarding the casual way i handle my gear:  will it lead to scratched lenses and broken somethings and expensive replacement fees or is my nonchalance just the mark of someone who feels really comfortable and natural in their photographer skin?
no broken equipment... it really does hold up.  probably too much dirt and sand in the cameras, but ah well.

6.  will getting more involved in photography communities make me more critical of myself?  more critical of others?  tired of the whole thing?  inspired about the whole thing?
all of the above- it the best ways.  365 has brought more joy than i could have anticipated, and the challenges have pushed me in ways i wouldn't have otherwise even known to pursue.  i hope to increase my activity this year... and to do some more deliberate self-teaching.

7.  where will my style go?  will i prefer photographing people or places or textures or nature or details or big  things? 
people and events remain my favorite things.  i prefer something that can tell a story... so that can really be anything.  maybe not so in love with big nature scapes... they're just whatever to me.

8.  once i learn more, will i get hungry for new lenses and new cameras and new everything?
increasing my equipment was a little intimidating at first.  i felt like i had to lug around all my options just to leave the house.  i've freed myself from that pressure.  it's mostly just my 50mm on my d800, though i might return to my d5100 during the school year.  i WOULD like some more lenses for my d800... the full lens is just SO good.

9.  will i  get the coveted "Press Pass" into an event?
SJ Press Pass to the basketball game... Architecture for Dogs event...

10.  will i keep up with my 365? even on busy days?  even on sad days?  even on inconvenient days?  even on uninspired days?
YES.  even on busy days, ESPECIALLY on sad days.  yes on inconvenient days, even if the shots weren't stellar.  haven't really encountered too many uninspired days.

there it is.  the state of the union.

No comments: