Friday, January 20, 2012

jobbyjob

Despite a rocky start, I will toot my horn for being a mothaeffin fantastic teacher these past few weeks. Reminiscent of the early days when I really REALLY cared. And it feels good. It feels real good.

This website matters to me:
http://loveteachblog.blogspot.com/

A few flashes:
1. Love, Teach reminds me of all the ridiculousness that was Philly. In particular, I recalled the following scene:
I am sitting in a parent/teacher conference with the VP and a terrible, terrible nasty student who was fronting all compliant because her mother was in the room. I am listening to the VP (who is a bit off even on her best days) lecture this nasty about what it means to be a strong woman, and I happen to look down. The VP was wearing some school marm skirt and had her legs crossed. I have no idea how the girlpower speech ended, because when I looked down I witnessed the longest human leg hair I have ever seen in my life. On the VP. Lecturing nasty about class and being a woman.
2. Which reminds me of one of the first interactions I had with anyone at that school. Some woman parks a cart outside my classroom and, without a greeting, inquires, "Do you shave?" Well, hello to you too. It was a little odd, but I scored a whole box of trial size shave gel cans that lasted the whole school year... maybe beyond. In hindsight, I probably should have... shared.
3. Someone stole my copy of The Book Thief.

No comments: