Monday, May 16, 2011

ugly babies

You know what bums me out?
Thoughts like, "What about the ugly babies?"
There are ugly people in grown up form, and there are some seriously ugly babies. And that is just the way it is. And you know what? Even when they're babies, they get talked about for their ugliness. I know. I've done it. I, a full grown woman, have snickered and psst pssted about a number of small ugly humans. And that baby is just laying there being ugly, or all smush faced in a picture with no idea that a whole lifetime of discrimination is lined up to meet them just as soon as they reach self awareness.

And this is not fair. Something about this is stupid. Something tears at me when I think about how someone can live their whole life focusing a ridiculous percentage of their attention on a particularly hideous body part (that the whole world is focused on too). It depresses me that there are people who will never have a comfortable sexual encounter. ever. Because they are ugly and they know it. This seems unconstitutional.

But there is something else that bums me out. This whole "designer baby" notion that all my girls want to write research papers on. Thinking about the implications of designing your own offspring makes me... tired. Not sad. More like a really quiet surrender.

So in five hundred years we'll be computerhuman hybrids who can design little computerhuman babies who will never ever run the risk of being ugly. So what. Why? And what matters? And what does it mean to be a human and what is purpose and who am i and who is in charge of ratifications to the constitution of day to day living and breathing and pretending we have some grasp on anything?

No comments: