Sunday, December 2, 2012

grin and bear it: emo female takes on Brave


SO, a few days ago I was almost lost to a sea of depression after watching a man wait for his dog to poop.

Yesterday brought another installment in the ever exciting series of Girl* Meets Emo as I found myself crying big old tears watching Brave.

At one point I said out loud, "if that bear doesn't turn back, I'm going to lose my shit."

SPOILER ALERT shit was not lost.

Although I expected to latch right on to the character of that little fiesty redhead who wants nothing to do with marriage and defies cultural traditions and expectations (gathered all from the trailer!), it was the big ol queen turned bear that I found myself emotionally bound to.

this person who is changed utterly through no fault of their own now finds themselves unable to function in their world- unable to communicate- even the easiest tasks become unbearable obstacles (pun kind of intended but it doesn't really make sense)- and is now dependent on the ability of another person to grow if they have any hope of returning to their previous state.   

hm.

And it's that kind of connection that had me crying about a big cartoon bear.

The good news is:
1. Disney didn't totally screw it up by demonizing nature...
2. that even IF Merida hadn't learned her lesson and hadn't reversed the spell just-in-the-nick-of-dramatic-disney-time, I'm pretty sure Elinor would have been alright.  There were already signs that she was learning to function well in her new state, and that communication and understanding between the bears and humans was actually improving... that a terrible traumatic experience can be used to transform not only the understanding and perception of the individual, but to impact the understanding and empathy of their entire community and culture.  psychobabbleonandon
4.  A lot of the artwork I've seen has linked Merida and hermominbearform as a sort of shared identity... that their struggle is shared... that Merida recognizes her responsibility... that the restoration of her mother is necessary for her own restoration.  i like that.
4.  Despite these little emo episodes, I can usually quickly turn around and laugh at it.  So, that's good.

Going to see Silver Linings Playbook today.  Emo episode entirely possible.

*Should it be Woman Meets Emo?  I am 30 now, afterall.  At what age is girl not so appropriate?

No comments: